Wednesday 21 October 2015

Focus


I’m glad the kids are visiting their Nana this week because with less than 60 days until we land in Grenada I am stressed!

Like most stress it is an amalgamation of all the little things. It is amazing how unsettling not knowing can be. Right now I don’t know: where we will live; where the boys will go to school; who will rent our house; and when we will come back.

Probably what set me off the most this week was thinking I had the boys schooling sorted out only to have it come crashing down. We had priced out a private school in Grenada at about $2,400 Canadian. Which is definitely something we can invest in. Then we had a recommendation for a school in a good neighbourhood that would also see the boys studying on the same campus and we had thought it would work well. The only problem was after a bunch of calls it turns out tuition is four times that of what we expected! With a salary of $550 Canadian a month we can’t afford $8,000 for schooling.

A friend of mine told me once that it is important when you are stressed to focus on what was working, not on what isn’t.  It was really good advice. So what is working?

·         Our doctor, nurses and dentist have been amazing and most of our medical information is ready to be sent off to Cuso’s doctors for this week.

·         My clients have been incredibly successful. All four have be asked to an interview based on the resumes I wrote for them! Two are at the reference checking stage.

·         CFL football has started and I am enjoying the World Cup when I can find a game on.

·         The weather is beautiful and Brent has been able to learn the fundamentals of kiteboarding

·         The tenants of our home in Bowmanville are supportive of our move and want to stay in the house. Rockstar Realestate has found colleagues to help us out if there is a problem with the house.

·         Our trip was featured on page 2 the June 27th edition of the CFB Trenton Contact

·         We had some luck talking to real estate agents today about renting our home.

As a child I often heard count your blessings, which is the same concept. It is very true that when you look at what is going right- it far outweighs your worries. You have to dig a bit deeper to surface those items, but they are there. For me it is a good lesson because I tend to be pretty laid back about most things so when I get stressed it comes as a surprise. Keeping a balanced perspective helps to calm my racing mind and be more present.

No comments:

Post a Comment