Tuesday 13 October 2015

Last Suppers

This time next week we will be leaving my sister's house in Oshawa and heading for the airport to catch our overnight flight to St. George, Grenada. We know there will be lots of changes and a big (and positive change) will be our diet. So to get our "fill" of our regular fare everyone, including Ama, gets their favourite supper. This got me thinking about how our favourite meals related to our personalities.

Owen's dinner was tonight. He requested a "full" roast beef dinner. It included mashed potatoes, gravy, broccoli with cheese sauce and peas. Owen is often precise about what he wants and how he likes things. Having said that, like his meal he is not extravagant, plain will do.

Aiden will have his meal in exactly a  week because he loves Chinese food. He had wanted Chinese buffet but his aunt Ceilidh and Uncle Ken are going to get take-out so we can enjoy their home and pool just a little bit longer! Aiden likes variety in life and in food. He has many friends who are all quite different but all great kids. He loves spicy noodles and like the dish he can be a little punchy but always flexible. We're happy that Aiden has begun to be more vocal about how he feels as when he was younger he was the peacekeeper at all costs.

I am having curry chicken. This is my favourite dish. When I was little I called it green chicken and loved it when my mom made it for us! It is both old and new at the same time, I am always playing with the curry to find the perfect balance of sweet and spicy. So hopefully I am like this dish in that I am kind but behind that sweetness is a bite. My "older" (by 7 minutes) sister always says you don't want to tangle with the baby sister! I also just love enjoying the spice of life. I hope too that I am always evolving trying to be an even better me.  One of my favourite quotes is  “You are perfect just as you are, and you could use a little improvement.” —Shunryu Suzuki

Ama is having BBQ salmon. Like salmon she is bright and vibrant.  I find salmon to have a very subtle taste and in a similar fashion she is very humble and unassuming. Like salmon she doesn't overpower is mellow and warm.

Brent is having steak and baked. Brent is a guy's guy. If we count eggs as meat, Brent has meat at every meal and if we let him it would probably stop there! Brent is not a fussy eater nor is he a fussy person. He is content with whatever version of meat is on the table or whatever we have on our agenda (like moving to Grenada).

I am looking forward to our last suppers- enjoying everyone's favourites, enjoying the last week in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment